Choosing a university is an important decision. When you base your decision on where to study based on rankings, it’s almost like picking the winner of a horse race (which one will get there first?) rather than looking at individual strengths. Ranking systems are subjective and limited in scope by the number of universities they rank. What’s more, rankings don’t take into account whether your desired degree is offered.
Here are five British universities that offer degrees in Dubai that are ranked highly for teaching quality and student satisfaction, among other factors.
The Top 5 British Universities in Dubai
The University of Aberdeen
According to the QS World University Rankings, Aberdeen is the UK’s oldest University but has the number one quality of education in Dubai and has a reputation for being progressive and culturally diverse. Its Department of Life Science was the first in the Middle East to be accredited for pharmaceutical sciences. Aberdeen also is a leader in Arabic and Islamic Studies and Neuroscience.
- Undergraduate: The University offers a flexible and personal approach to your lessons.
- Postgraduate taught: Placed in the top 160 universities worldwide according to World Rankings 2022. The universities offer a broad range of postgraduate programs.
- Postgraduate research: More than 75% of research done at the University is categorized as ‘global leader’ or ‘international first-class’ (REF 2014)
- Online learning: Examine courses that are offered online whether you want a short course or a degree. The classes have been tailor-made to suit people who are also working.
University of Birmingham
Number 1 university for undergraduate courses in the UAE and 4th for academic reputation. The main campus is located in England’s biggest city, Birmingham. Birmingham is known for the world-famous music school, the world-renowned Aston University, and the world-class Birmingham Conservatoire of Music and Dance, consistently ranked as a top-tier institution of study worldwide.
The University of Birmingham offers a wide range of undergraduate courses, undergraduate and masters’ courses, and degrees in law, business and management, law, engineering, art and design, medicine, pharmacy, social sciences, and humanities.
- QS World University Rankings 2022 has placed the University of Birmingham 90th and 14th amongst universities in the UK.
- The World University Rankings, Times Higher Education ranked the university 105th out of 1400 universities globally and 12th out of 100 universities in the UK.
University of Leeds
Established in 1829, Leeds is one of the oldest and most prestigious universities in the UK. It currently has a student body of 35,000 and around 20,000 international students. Leeds University is the only University in the UK with a high degree in social, cultural, and political sciences.
Undergraduates can choose from three student bodies: the School of Arts and Humanities, the School of Business and Management, and the School of Biomedical Sciences.
The University boasts a number of high-profile professors, including Sally Le Page, chief executive of the Medical Research Council, and Professor Andrew Gray, the founder of Wyndham Place School for Girls.
- Ranked Top 10 in the UK for Business Management and Marketing according to The Guardian University Guide 2022.
- Ranked Top 5 in the UK for Accounting and Finance (Complete University Guide League Table 2022).
- Ranked top 10 for research quality as per the most recent Research Excellence Framework (REF 2014)
University of Nottingham
The University of Nottingham is ranked in the top 300 in the world. The University’s faculty of science and engineering, for example, ranked 5th in the world for generating industry-relevant innovations in the materials, energy, and manufacturing industries in 2016. The School of Computing and Informatics also ranked in the top 10 globally for providing students with an exceptional learning experience.
- QS World University Rankings 2022 placed the university 18th in the UK and 103 worldwide.
- The Times Higher Education World University Rankings 2022 ranked it 18th in the UK and 141 worldwide.
- The Guardian University Guide 2022 ranked it 52 in the UK.
University of Sheffield
The University of Sheffield is one of the leading UK universities that provide education and research in diverse areas, including engineering and technology, medicine, law, and the humanities. It has more than 55,000 students from more than 150 countries studying at Sheffield, Rotherham, and Karachi campuses. The University has strong partnerships with the business, engineering, and technology communities and works with industry to promote knowledge transfer and commercialization.
- The University is ranked 110th worldwide and 13th in the UK as per the 2022 Times Higher Education World University Rankings.
- The QS World University Rankings placed it 95th globally and 17th in the UK.
The University of Warwick is situated in Coventry, a short drive outside the city of Birmingham. The University is part of Russell, which includes several UK universities, including University College London. The University was founded in 1513 as The University of St John the Evangelist by Edward de Vere, the 17th Earl of Oxford.
The University has a student population of approximately 18,000, which is more than enough to form the bulk of the University’s teaching. Of the University’s 125 staff, over 40% are research professors. The University offers over 20 undergraduate degrees, 53 postgraduate diplomas, and 6 honorary degrees to students. Its research concentration is in the areas of the social sciences and humanities.
- The Guardian University Guide 2022 ranked the University of Warwick 6th in the UK.
- QS World University Rankings 2022 placed it 61st worldwide.
- (UK government’s 2018 Longitudinal Education Outcomes (LEO) dataset (2015-2016 data)) ranked Warwick graduates in the top 10 for highest incomes in more than 11 subjects in the UK.
The ranking is not an exact science. No rankings could ever be considered perfect, and can only serve as a guideline for prospective students to make informed choices when deciding where to study.
Whether you’re a newbie looking to study abroad for the first time or an international student looking to settle down for good in Dubai, these top-ranked British universities in Dubai offer a fantastic opportunity for you to develop new skills and experience something new.
These five British universities in Dubai offer a high-quality experience and education to prospective and new students across the board.
Lauren Bradshaw, an essay writing expert who works at CustomWritings professional custom writing service, believes, “Every student has to be ready to become an adult after graduation. It means solving daily problems in private life and at work.” It all starts with choosing the right University to develop skills you will use in your work life.